Thursday, December 13, 2007

Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?

I'm not a Southerner, but I play one in my extended family. Long southern dinners usually turn into long southern after-dinner conversations. And once the sweet tea gets a'flowing, well...even being a Northerner, you get around some good people and even my voice gets a little gruffer. Smokey drawls and "y'all's" ensues. And ma words start fixin' ta gittin' cut off.

Long ago, I commited to writing down some sayings I've heard from my father-in-law, but of course, only recently started doing so - Procrastinator Extrordinaire that I am (and no, that doesn't mean "pretty boy"). You might say I been "slower than Grandma in the bathroom when I'm tryin' to go out on Saturday night."


So for posterity's sake (and a reason to post a blog entry) here are a few I've had the pleasure to be told over the years. Feel free to drop them into any normal conversation, meeting, group presentation, or Sunday Mom call. From what I understand, usage is a fine art. And you can't just spout 'em on demand for the amusement of boys from the wrong side of the river. They have to just flow eloquently. Which is a fancy pants word by itself any way, and shouldn't be used by any self respecting Southerner. I f it's a word ya can't spell, then ya don't need'ta be sayin' it.

Hopefully, these are legacy-worthy to pass down to another generation. (Queen's English versions are all mine - because it's more ironic that way.)

  • "Can't hit a bull in the arse with a bass fiddle."
  • "Shakin' like a dog shiteing peach seeds." (Alt: "Shakin' like a cat shiteing razor blades.")
  • "Hotter than a three-p*ckered billy goat."
  • "Hotter than a whore on nickel night."
  • "Slicker than a greased minnow's d*ck."
  • "Colder than a well digger's arse." (Alt: "Colder than a witch's teet.")
  • "Busier than a one-armed paper hanger on a windy day."
  • "Busier than a one-legged man in an arse-kicking contest."
  • "Can't drive a sharp stick up a cow's arse with both hands."
  • "Went over like a fart in church."
  • "Cuter than a speckled pup."
  • "That ain't worth a 'kiss my arse.' "
  • "(That) smells like arseholes and Fritos."
  • "Tighter than five virgins in a Volkswagon."
  • "(He) caught a case of the red arse." (Meaning, angry or worked up.)
  • "Dummer than rock salt." (Spelling is intentional, and you gotta say it that way.)
  • "Dumber than a box of two-year old animal crackers." (My Grandfather gets credit for this one.)
  • "Drier than a popcorn fart."
  • "I'm gonna hit you so hard it'll knock your d*ck stiff."
  • "You and me are gonna go outside and tangle in the gravel."
  • "(He's) 10 pounds of shite in a 5 pound sack."
  • "Slower than smoke off dog shite." (Not sure where I heard this one, but it's a great visual.)
  • "He wouldn't say shite if he had a mouth full of it."

Good people. Metaphors. Similes. Double entendre. I live for this stuff.

No comments: