Thursday, December 6, 2007

My first time going all the way.

Certain things I've done in my life, I'm horribly ashamed of. There are irreparable life decsions made, that through guilt have only been imparted through vulnerable moments, and spoken about in confidentiality to trusted friends. We qualify these revelations with "This stays between the two of us," or "I've never told anyone about this." Some truths require a "Speak a word of this, and I will find you, pull out your betraying tongue, and tie it up like a bow."

I guess what I'm trying to say is...yes, I've seen Paula Abdul in concert. And...um... second row, too.

And Kenny G. But only once.

(Hey, My DAD wanted to go. That is the reprehensible tale I've stuck with for 20 years, and I will continue to recycle this non-truth if boldly confronted.)

Now, I have witnessed rock-era legends perform. Springsteen. James Brown. Elton John. I have surrendered hundereds of hours to live music from irrefutable musical gods. So, in their shadow, I can then hide my pop discretions, and still retain my integrity. Although I did just admit to Paula Abdul.

Let's see. Who else have I paid hard-earned disposable income to shamelessly adore all in the name of ignorance, lapse of taste, or taking one for the in-the-moment, short lived ego stroking adoration of a girl...Richard Marx. Tom Jones. Cirque Du Soleil. Justin Timberlake (oh c'mon, the guy's a master showman. Try to resist those dimples. I triple dog dare you.)


Whew. I'm absolved.

Oh, and in the spirit of full disclosure...(whistling)...maybe I'll just briefly mention Sly Fox. Oh, don't pretend to say "Who?" Yes. The same one-hit group from 1985. Now the truth can be revealed, I witnessed the perhaps one of the greatest 80's pre-manufactured spectacles, first hand. Twice. Both early and late shows. The funniest part about that to me, looking back, is not so much the actual one-hit wonder group I saw, but the fact they were booked for two engagements in the same night.

No, I guess even better is I not only saw them, but met them pre-show. And had a picture taken with them. Technically my first celebrity meet and greet. Nice guys.

"Go all the way," indeed.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Look on the bright side...at least you can say you didn't get suckered into seeing Air Supply at the Paramount last year.