Thursday, January 10, 2008

Things to cover up the fact that you're clearly not really listening.

1. "You have such enthusiasm and speak so excitedly. I'm sorry, could you please say it again?"

2. "I know you laugh when I say this, but I still think you have such a cute accent. It's so soothing. Can you just humor me and say that again?"

3. "Well...That's obviously a thoroughly researched position you've taken. You're very detail oriented. Let's step back a moment and start at the beginning so I can be absolutely sure I've captured all your points."

4. "I think that's a devestatingly effective view, but I'm not sure everyone in the room heard it. Everyone in the back okay? Maybe if you could just reiterate?"

5. "Can you spell that?" (most noticeable AFTER the fact, when you clearly weren't listening, and the word in question is something simple like "Smith." Or "idiot.")

6. "Let's give credit where credit is due. Why don't you take the lead in the presentation. This would be so spectacular, if YOU could say it."

7. "I'm sorry, I WAS listening, but... you have the most captivating eyes. " (careful how you use this one. it's good for changing the subject, but also for a donkey punch if you overthrow.)

8. "Now, I may have been caught up in fully absorbing the nuances in your presentation, so maybe you can go back and verbally bullet-point the 'easy wins.' And then perhaps capture this in a followup email? I'm visualizing some hard hitting charts and graphs, maybe put it all in a more formal presentation. Yes. That would be perfect. When do you think you could have that out to the field? I'd like to see, oh, let's say before the end of the day."

9. "Okay, I hear what you're saying. I understand your requests, but I think there are some sidebar discussions going on here, and everyone clearly is excited about the prospects of this new endeavor. For the sake of formality, we should apply some due diligence and run through it all again. One more time."

10. "Que'?"

No comments: